From Asheville – The Stuff, Emily Abel calling
Tuesday, April 4 @ 8:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Welcome the band, The Stuff, and Salem College alumna. Emily Abel, from Asheville, who will be teaching and calling the dances at Salem College, April 4, 2017 in Bryant Hall. The dance lesson at 7:30PM is FREE. Then at 8PM Salem students and faculty enjoy a handsome discount over the normal admission – they get in to the dance for only $3.
“The Stuff” is back to bring us more great dancing music. Great stuff! Gretchen Caverly‘s fiddle playing will carry you away with her precise yet freely interpreted melodies. Nic Coker works the guitar, supporting the melody with his creative and fluid rhythm and bass lines. They have a grand time making great dance music together!
On this night, Salem College alumna, Emily Abel, calls select dances from her libraray of dance cards. This former Salem student danced every time there was a Fiddle and Bow sponsored dance in the area, then danced at regional dances before taking up the art of calling dances. Now she calls in many states and cities. Expect laughter and fun for the evening from her and the friendly people you dance with in the room!
– No partner necessary because you will dance with everyone in the room. 🙂
– If you’re new, you’ll probably have more fun if you attend the short lesson at 7:30 just before the dance.
– Please bring clean, soft soled shoes to change into to protect the floor.
– Dancing starts at 8 and runs until 10:30 with a short break in the middle.
– Bring friends whenever you can for more fun and for growing the dance.
– In contra, everybody makes mistakes but nobody cares so have fun!
Remember to treat all dancers, especially beginning dancers with care and respect and help them have a good time.
General Admission $8
Salem Faculty & Students $3
Other full time students (under 25) $5.
Free Lesson 7:30 – 8
Dance 8 – 10:30 pm
Salem College: Bryant Hall
790 E. Salem Ave, Winston-Salem, NC
Easy access from Business-40 or NC-52, “Salem College” exits
(Bryant Hall houses the gym, fitness center and Salem Commons)
Enter from Salem Avenue near the athletic fields
This dance is brought to you by the students of Salem College Contra Collaborators (on Facebook) and the local non-profit organization, Fiddle & Bow Country Dancers (www.feetretreat.com).