Coracree (Janie Rothfield, Allan Carr, Bill Quern, Sarah Gowan) from Pennsylvania with George Segebade Calling
March 7, 2017 coming to Salem College – Coracree from Pennsylvania!
“Coracree is one of the most heralded contra dance bands around and has played to enthusiastic dancers throughout the East Coast from Canada to Florida, at dance weekends in Philadelphia, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Austin Texas. The band melds a transatlantic mix of traditional Celtic, Old-time, European, and original music with a playful, improvisational style. Coracree features the lively fiddling of Jane Rothfield, the driving swing of Bill Quern on tenor banjo, mandolin and melodeon, Sarah Gowan’s inventive guitar stylings, and the melodic and rhythmic stand-up bass playing of Allan Carr. Coracree’s multi instrumental, rhythmic, driving, groovy, jazzy music combines with their unique connection with the dancers makes for a fantastic dance experience all around!”
And here is a link to some great dance video of Coracree at Glen Echo.
Coracree Website: www.coracree.com
Well known caller, our own George Segebade, sets up the evening with dances that are interesting as well as fun!
– No partner necessary because you will dance with everyone in the room. 🙂
– 7:30 a beginner’s lesson will be taught so you’ll have more fun during the dance
– Each dance is walked through and then called as we dance so we’ll know what to do
– Clean, soft soled shoes are best for the floor.
– Dancing starts at 8 and runs until 10:30 with a short break in the middle.
– Bring friends whenever you can for more fun and for growing the dance.
– In contra, everyone makes mistakes but nobody cares so have fun!
Remember to treat all dancers, especially beginning dancers with care and respect and help them have a good time.
General Admission $8
Salem Faculty & Students $3
Other full time students (under 25) $5.
Free Lesson 7:30 – 8
Dance 8 – 10:30 pm
Salem College: Bryant Hall
790 E. Salem Ave, Winston-Salem, NC
Easy access from Business-40 or NC-52, “Salem College” exits
(Bryant Hall houses the gym, fitness center and Salem Commons)
Enter from Salem Avenue near the athletic fields